"I nearly choked when one of the care staff acidentally failed to leave a cup of tea just beyond my reach" claimed partly-paralised, Parkinson-suffering stroke patient Kathleen Whitcroft, 86.
"Normally, to avoid any risk of me spilling it, scalding myself or choking, the staff are really good about taking care to leave cups of tea where I can't quite reach them. Usually I just lie there and watch it go cold, before they come and snatch it away three hours later. But this time they had carelssly left it just a few feet away and because I had not had anything to drink for four days, I'm ashamed to say I got tempted and actually managed to reach it and started to drink it."
"That was when I began to choke. Although no-one came to help when I choked, I just about survived. However I'm afraid that I ended up not only making extra work for the nurses by spilling tea and saliva all over the sheets, but have now added to their burden even more by failing to die. I feel so guilty and ashamed."