John Keets of Newport Bay, Pembrokeshire wanted to be able to have a fire all year round but found the stifling summer heat a problem so he came up with the idea of transferring the visual aspect of the flames to his television screen.
In order to do this he filmed his log fire for several hours and using his technical expertise he transferred the footage of the fire to the screen of his television. For the first few days he enjoyed the new feature and sat enraptured with the display which he claimed was more realistic than the fire itself.
One evening in a drunken state he momentarily forgot the bygone nature of the flames and threw a log in the direction of the television as the fire was dying down. The log knocked over the television which immediately began emitting dangerous sparks. In his confusion he picked up the bale of water next to the actual fire and doused the television in an attempt to extinguish the flames.
Much to his surprise this did not have the desired effect and caused a real electrical fire which ultimately engulfed his home leaving him with a burnt elbow and a single pair of shoes. Keets is now said to be sleeping rough outside the fireplace warehouse, it is thought his elbow has made a full recovery but his shoes have developed several holes and the laces are tied in a haphazard manner.
Local fireman Steve Piper said "If you want to watch a fire then wait outside the fire station until the alarm sounds then follow us to the blaze, the lads love that. If there is time we might even let you slide down the pole."