Relatives of Grimsby pensioner, Ethel Dulwhinney, are considering legal action following her sudden death at the Little Friends’ Veterinary Clinic in August.
Mrs Dulwhinney aged 79 had taken her poodle, Achilles to the clinic after being concerned about a limp he had suddenly developed. After a thorough examination and an all clear she reported back to reception where she was presented with a bill for just £4.99.
Jennifer Salcombe, chief receptionist said, “One minute she was holding Achilles under her one arm and her purse in the other and the next she went down like a sack of coal.” Despite efforts to revive the pensioner she was later declared dead by paramedics who had rushed to the scene.
Speaking on behalf of Mrs Dulwhinney’s family, Grimsby solicitor Mike Overton said, “The sudden death of our great aunt has come as a great blow to us. We feel that being presented with such a low consultation fee was a real shock to her system. At the time she was carrying £300 in cash in her purse and was fully prepared to part with it. This callous and unthinking act has robbed us of a loving aunt and lumbered us with a very vicious poodle. Words cannot express how we feel at the moment but we will be taking further advice from our legal representatives.”
Practice manager, Lionel Mullings said, “Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to Mrs Dulwhinney’s family. There was an unfortunate technical error in the new billing system resulting in the misplacing of decimal points. We are now pursuing the matter with our software providers. We would like to ensure all of our valued customers that this was a one off occurrence and has now been rectified.”