After three months in the job, veteran food taster to the Queen, Sir Digby St John Filigree-Gresham passed away painfully yesterday after the tasting of a mushroom omelet. The omelet had been prepared for her majesty with the spoils of a mushroom gathering trip to Loch Muick undertaken by the longest ever serving heir to the throne HRH The Prince of Wales. The Prince had passed on Grouse shoot with his father, and had instead taken gentle stroll along the loch with his mushroom collecting basket 'Mr Mycetismus' which was reported to have been full to the brim on his return to Balmoral.
It is understood that the king in waiting (62) was blissfully unaware of the dangers of the leather-brown Deadly Webcap, the Funeral Bell and Poison Pie mushrooms and has had his mushroom gathering basket confiscated as a precautionary measure by members of the royal household.
Sir Digby's son Basil is said to be quivering with excitement at inheriting the position vacated by his father, and is delaying his enrolment at Eton Prep school’s first form in order to ensure a seamless accession.