Nine year old Sam Ryder of Stevenage is in a stable condition this morning following an accidental fruit and vegetable overdose.
His mother Aimee described the moment when a relaxing family evening in front of the telly turned into a life changing moment. ‘Sam had finished a large packet of crisps and I wouldn’t let him have another one, so he wandered into the kitchen and found an apple. We’re always telling him to eat better stuff so we were delighted, but when he’d finished it his face started to turn a disgustingly healthy shade of pink.
‘We knew at once something was wrong, and we asked him what else he’d been eating. He’d had crisps watching telly, haribos when he was gaming and a large popcorn at the cinema, so that was OK. But he’d had a banana at breakfast time and had then been to his nan’s for lunch, where she’d given him broccoli and beans and a whole glass of orange juice. When he got back he raided the cupboard and had two whole handfuls of raw sultanas. The apple had tipped him over five a day. Our poor baby was the victim of an overdose.’
Sam said that his mum called the out of hours doctor but no one was available to see him for at least two hours, so in the end they had to get an ambulance to take him to Accident and Emergency at the nearby Lister Hospital.
Consultant surgeon Mr Tom Morris said that without swift intervention Sam could have reached a critical state and might have started to demand to read books and go for long walks in the country. ‘Mums have enough demands on their time without having to cope with this kind of non-conforming behaviour,’ he said.
Aimee said it had been a close run thing and the emergency services had been golden, but the government should do more to warn parents about the potential dangers of healthy eating.